Professionally Manufactured Designer Kitchens Using High Quality Polished Granite.
For Kitchens In Preston Use Granite.
Contracts Can Be Undertaken On Behalf Of Builders Or Home Improvement Companies Or For Commercial Or Domestic Customers
We Can Supply To Your Own Specification Or Complete Your Project From Start To Finish
Phone Granite Designs Preston Free On 0800 8818103
Granite Designs Preston For Any Of The Following
Contract Fitting Designer Kitchens and Specialised Fitting
Granite Ideas for Conservatories Kitchens and Utility rooms
Specialised Granite Fitting for Retail Premises Pubs and Clubs
FREE PHONE GRANITE PRODUCTS preston ON
0800 881 8103
Your Personal Contact at Granite Designs Preston
We Have Contracts Available : Free Registration
GRANITE WORK SURFACES PRESTON
Preston (pronunciation (help·info) IPA: [ˈprɛstən]) is a city and local government district in Lancashire, England, located on the River Ribble. Preston was granted the status of a city in 2002, becoming England's 50th city in the 50th year of Queen Elizabeth II's reign. The Mayor of Preston from May 2008 to May 2009 is Councillor John Swindells. The population of the Preston City Council area is c 130,000. The 2001 census indicated 184,836 living in the Preston sub-area and c 335,000 living in the Central Lancashire sub-region, which also includes Leyland and Chorley. Contents [show] * 1 History o 1.1 Etymology o 1.2 Early development o 1.3 Guild Merchant o 1.4 Pre-Industrial Preston o 1.5 Industrial Revolution o 1.6 Religion * 2 Governance o 2.1 Preston City Council o 2.2 Mayors of Preston o 2.3 Freemen of the City o 2.4 Freedom of the City o 2.5 Lancashire County Council o 2.6 Parliament * 3 Geography o 3.1 Physical geography o 3.2 Areas and Estates o 3.3 Out of city Areas/Towns o 3.4 Civic geography * 4 Demographics o 4.1 Ethnicity o 4.2 Religion * 5 Landmarks * 6 Economy * 7 Transport o 7.1 Road o 7.2 Rail o 7.3 Water o 7.4 Bus o 7.5 Air * 8 Education * 9 Media * 10 Sport * 11 Notable people * 12 Twin cities/towns * 13 References * 14 See also * 15 External links  History  Etymology Preston is first recorded in the Domesday Book as "Prestune" in 1086.  Various other spellings occur in early documents: "Prestonam" (1094), "Prestone" (1160), "Prestona" (1160), "Presteton" (1180), and "Prestun" (1226). The modern spelling occurs in 1094, 1176, 1196, 1212 and 1332. The town's name is derived from Old English Presta and Tun, the Tun (town or place) of the Presta (priest or priests).  Early development During the Roman period, the main road from Luguvalium (Carlisle) to Mamucium (Manchester) forded the River Ribble at Walton-le-Dale, ¾ mile (1 km) southeast of the centre of Preston. Here was a Roman camp, probably a regional depot for military equipment or other supplies. At Withy Trees, 1½ miles (2 km) north of Preston, the road crossed another Roman road from Bremetennacum (the Roman fort at Ribchester) to the coast. In Ripon in 705 AD the lands near the River Ribble were set on a new foundation, and the parish church was probably erected. This parish church was probably situated on the grounds of the present Anglican parish of St. John the Evangelist on Church Street, which was originally dedicated to St. Wilfrid and then later St. John the Baptist. Later, Edward the Elder endowed the lands to the Cathedral at York and then, by means of successive transfers the lands were exchanged between lesser churches, hence the origin of the name Priest's Town or Preston. An alternative explanation of the origin of the name is that the Priest's Town refers to a priory set up by St. Wilfrid near the Ribble's lowest ford. This idea is supported by the sameness of the paschal lamb on Preston's crest with that on St. Wilfrid's. Preston was already the most important town in Amounderness (an area of Central Lancashire between the rivers Ribble and Cocker, including The Fylde and Bowland) when first mentioned in the Domesday Book, compiled in 1086; and it was the wealthiest town in Lancashire when assessed for tax purposes in 1218-19.  Guild Merchant
Dalbeattie In Dumfries and Galloway Is Said To Be The Birthplace Of Granite Polishing. Granite Quarrying Craignair quarry is a notable town landmark Formerly granite quarrying was an important part of the Dalbeattie economy. The most prominent of which is the characteristic Craignair quarry which is clearly visible to the west of the town. Dalbeattie Granite works was established in 1820 and was situated in Craignair Street, following a direct route from Craignair quarry. The industry died down locally around 1883 due to cheaper imports from Denmark. Many of the workers immigrated to other parts of the world in order to find work, a number immigrated to the USA to work at a sister quarry in Westerly, Rhode Island. Dalbeattie is credited with developing the technique of polishing granite stone to form a shiny surface. This technique was exported throughout the world by the skilled workers of Dalbeattie as they travelled.